Whistleblowing Policy

Kingston Unity takes accountability and transparency seriously and therefore has a mechanism in place to enable individuals to report concerns in a responsible and effective manner. Where an individual discovers information which they believe shows serious malpractice or wrongdoing within the Society then this information should be disclosed without fear of reprisal.

What is whistleblowing?
Whistleblowing is where an individual reports or discloses something which they believe shows malpractice or impropriety. An individual can be an employee of Kingston Unity, a member, third party or member of the public.

Concerns of malpractice or impropriety could include;

  • Financial malpractice, impropriety or fraud;
  • Failure to comply with a legal obligation or statutes;
  • Dangers to Health and Safety or the environment;
  • Criminal activity;
  • Improper conduct or unethical behaviour;
  • Policies and procedures not being followed;
  • Something that might have a serious impact on the Society’s reputation or financial position; or
  • Attempts to conceal any of the above.

As a regulated firm, we are required by our regulators to have a formal policy in place to deal with whistleblowing and to appoint an individual to receive reports of concern. Our Senior Independent Director (SID) is the person who will receive reports of concern on behalf of the Society.

Reporting a concern
The Senior Independent Director (SID) has been allocated responsibility for receiving concerns on behalf of the Society, this is a specific responsibility which is registered with the PRA. The role is designed to ensure that you have someone who is independent to go to if you need to discuss or raise any concerns. The Senior Independent Director will follow a specific set of procedures to ensure that you are treated fairly and that your concerns are given proper consideration. Any concerns reported to the Senior Independent Director will be dealt with in a confidential and sensitive manner.

The Society encourages you, where possible to first report your concerns to the Senior Independent Director.

Senior Independent Directors contact details:
You can report any concerns to the Senior Independent Director, who is currently Bernard White, by addressing your concerns to:

Personal – Senior Independent Director,
Kingston Unity Friendly Society Limited,
9 Navigation Court, Calder Park,

If you wish to remain anonymous, you can do so by putting your concern in writing and not disclosing your identity within the letter.

Please Note: You must confirm you have read the key facts, before downloading this document.

Key Facts about our services and costs

1. The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)

The FCA is the independent watchdog that regulates financial services. This document is designed by the FCA to be given to consumers buying certain financial products. You need to read this important document. It explains the service you are being offered and how you will pay for it.

2. Whose products do we offer?

We offer products from the whole market

We only offer products from a limited number of companies

We only offer our own products

3. Which service will we provide you with?

We will advise and make a recommendation for you after we have assessed your needs.

You will not receive advice or a recommendation from us. We may ask some questions to narrow down the selection of products that we will provide details on. You will then need to make your own choice about how to proceed.

We will provide basic advice on a limited range of stakeholder products and in order to do this we will ask some questions about your income, savings and other circumstances but we will not:

  • conduct a full assessment of your needs;
  • offer advice on whether a non-stakeholder product may be more suitable.

We can only offer products from Kingston Unity Friendly Society. These products will enable you to:

  • protect yourself and your loved ones in the event of death
  • save and invest with the added benefit of protecting yourself and your loved ones in the event of death
  • provide benefit cover in the event of sickness

4. What will you have to pay us for our services?

Normally, if you buy a financial product direct from us, there will be no payments such as commission or fees payable. If there are any commission or fees payable, we will tell you how we get paid and the amount before we carry out any business for you.

5. Who regulates us?

Kingston Unity Friendly Society, 9 Navigation Court, Calder Park, Wakefield, WF2 7BJ is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and .the Prudential Regulation Authority. Kingston Unity Friendly Society’s FCA Registered Number is 110056.

Kingston Unity Friendly Society permitted business is advising and arranging life assurance and pensions business.

You can check this on the FCA’s Register by visiting the FCA’s website www.fsa.gov.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0845 606 1234.

6. What to do if you have a complaint

If you wish to register a complaint, please contact us:
…in writing Write to Kingston Unity Friendly Society, Complaints Department, 9 Navigation Court, Calder Park, Wakefield, WF2 7BJ. …by phoneTelephone (01924) 240164

If you cannot settle your complaint with us, you may be entitled to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

7. Are we covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS)?

We are covered by the FSCS. You may be entitled to compensation from the scheme if we cannot meet our obligations. This depends on the type of business and the circumstances of the claim.

Most types of insurance business are covered for 90% of the claim with no upper limit.