Child Trust Fund

Whilst Child Trust Funds are closed to new business, you can still pay in or transfer your current one to a different provider or our Junior ISA. All the information you need is here

Getting the most out of your child’s CTF options

A Child Trust Fund is a long-term savings and investment account that was set up by the Government to provide children with a better start in life. Children born between 1st September 2002 and 2nd January 2011 were given a £250 or £50 voucher if they qualified.

This could then be used to open a Child Trust Fund account. Children receive all the proceeds of the account when they reach the age of 18. Additional contributions can be paid into the Child Trust Fund of up to £9,000 per birthday year. This can be paid in by you, family & friends and are gifts to the child which cannot be repaid to the donor.

Have a few questions about Child Trust Funds? Take a look at our CTF Hub to learn all the information you’ll need on Child Trust Funds. 

Highlights of our Child Trust Fund

  • Two options – We offer two types of Child Trust Fund for you to choose from; a Stakeholder and a Non-Stakeholder account.
  • Transfers only – This product is closed to new business. You can only open a CTF with Kingston Unity by transferring an existing Child Trust Fund from another provider.
  • Tax-free – A Child Trust Fund provides a tax-free lump sum to the child at age 18. Save up to £9,000 tax-free per year.
  • Flexible payments – Stop, start or vary payments in at any time.
  • Transfer to a Junior ISA – Easily transfer your CTF to our Friends & Family Junior ISA

Everything you need to know about Child Trust Funds

We've created our CTF Hub to give you all the information you need on Child Trust Funds, whether they're active or soon to mature.

Two types of Child Trust Fund are available

Kinston Unity offers two types of CTF: Stakeholder and Non-Stakeholder. You can learn more about the differences below.


Our Stakeholder account invests in shares in a spread of companies designed to track the performance of the FTSE All-Share index which represents most of the UK equity market. It is important to remember that the performance of the Child Trust Fund (CTF) is related to the performance of the investments held within the Stakeholder fund, therefore what your child might get back is not guaranteed and they could get back less than has been paid in.

Each payment you make buys a number of units at the unit price on that date. The unit price will fluctuate according to the performance of the fund. The unit price is calculated on a weekly basis and is published here.

A Stakeholder account must meet the following Government standards:

  • Most of the investments being held are shares.
  • Charges must not exceed 1.5% of the value of the account each year.
  • Additional contributions can be made by Direct Debit, Cheque, Standing Order or Bank Transfer.

At age 18, the funds in your child’s Stakeholder CTF will be available for them to withdraw or reinvest.

View the CTF Stakeholder Key Information Document


Our Non-Stakeholder account invests in Kingston Unity’s With Profits fund which offers a medium to low-risk investment by investing in a mix of shares, property, bonds and cash. Learn more about how we invest our With profits fund here. 

This type of CTF account guarantees that the money paid into it, plus any bonuses added to the account will be available to the child for withdrawal or re-investment on their 18th birthday. Bonuses are added to the account on the child’s birthday each year.  Bonuses are not guaranteed, but once added, cannot be removed.

If this account is transferred out before the child’s 18th birthday there may be a Market Value Reduction (MVR) applied. Have a look at our FAQs for more information. 

You can choose to transfer you Stakeholder CTF to a Non-Stakeholder CTF and vice versa should you wish to. Get in touch for more information about this.

View the CTF Non-Stakeholder Key Information Document

Our mutual ethos

As a mutual, we are here to create returns for our Members and not for corporate profit. It is the view of our Members that drives the direction of our Society and not the needs of shareholders. This mutual ethos has been the bedrock of our society for over 178 years.

Keeping you in the know

Take a look at the key terms about Child Trust Funds in our CTF Hub.

Your money is protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme

Other Important Information

Tax liability
Under current legislation, any money received from this CTF will be free of tax and doesn’t need to be declared on a tax return.

Tax legislation may change in the future. If you’re in any doubt, please take advice from a professional tax advisor – you may be charged for this advice.


Learn more about your CTF maturity options

Learn more about your CTF maturity options

Our CTF Hub has everything you need to know about your Child Trust Fund.

Please Note: You must confirm you have read the key facts, before downloading this document.

Key Facts about our services and costs

1. The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)

The FCA is the independent watchdog that regulates financial services. This document is designed by the FCA to be given to consumers buying certain financial products. You need to read this important document. It explains the service you are being offered and how you will pay for it.

2. Whose products do we offer?

We offer products from the whole market

We only offer products from a limited number of companies

We only offer our own products

3. Which service will we provide you with?

We will advise and make a recommendation for you after we have assessed your needs.

You will not receive advice or a recommendation from us. We may ask some questions to narrow down the selection of products that we will provide details on. You will then need to make your own choice about how to proceed.

We will provide basic advice on a limited range of stakeholder products and in order to do this we will ask some questions about your income, savings and other circumstances but we will not:

  • conduct a full assessment of your needs;
  • offer advice on whether a non-stakeholder product may be more suitable.

We can only offer products from Kingston Unity Friendly Society. These products will enable you to:

  • protect yourself and your loved ones in the event of death
  • save and invest with the added benefit of protecting yourself and your loved ones in the event of death
  • provide benefit cover in the event of sickness

4. What will you have to pay us for our services?

Normally, if you buy a financial product direct from us, there will be no payments such as commission or fees payable. If there are any commission or fees payable, we will tell you how we get paid and the amount before we carry out any business for you.

5. Who regulates us?

Kingston Unity Friendly Society, 9 Navigation Court, Calder Park, Wakefield, WF2 7BJ is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and .the Prudential Regulation Authority. Kingston Unity Friendly Society’s FCA Registered Number is 110056.

Kingston Unity Friendly Society permitted business is advising and arranging life assurance and pensions business.

You can check this on the FCA’s Register by visiting the FCA’s website or by contacting the FCA on 0845 606 1234.

6. What to do if you have a complaint

If you wish to register a complaint, please contact us:
…in writing Write to Kingston Unity Friendly Society, Complaints Department, 9 Navigation Court, Calder Park, Wakefield, WF2 7BJ. …by phoneTelephone (01924) 240164

If you cannot settle your complaint with us, you may be entitled to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

7. Are we covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS)?

We are covered by the FSCS. You may be entitled to compensation from the scheme if we cannot meet our obligations. This depends on the type of business and the circumstances of the claim.

Most types of insurance business are covered for 90% of the claim with no upper limit.