CTF Mental Capacity - Who you can contact

While the guidance is still being approved, those of our Members whose mental capacity means they are not capable of making an important financial decision on their own will have their requests treated by us on a case by case basis. In the meantime, we have compiled a series of useful links and contact information for Members/parents to enquire further about their individual cases with the relevant bodies.

Making Decisions on Behalf of Someone Else – Official Government Advice 

This Government web page offers guidance on when you can make decisions for someone with limited mental capacity and how you can make these decisions.

You can learn more here: https://www.gov.uk/make-decisions-for-someone/assessing-mental-capacity


Register for a Power Of Attorney 

Details on how to apply and register for a Lasting Power of Attorney.

You can learn more here: https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney


Practical Advice on Managing Someone Else’s Affairs  

Details on the definition of mental capacity and how it is assessed, plus help and advice for carers of people with limited mental capacity.

You can learn more here: https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/practical-support/managing-someone-s-affairs/mental-capacity-in-england-and-wales


Contacting HMRC

More information about mental capacity and the options for carers can be found at the HMRC site. if you would like more immediate advice, you can contact HMRC using the link below.

You can learn more here: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact


Contacting Us

We understand that it can be frustrating that there is no firm information regarding your options. While we wait for further guidance on this matter, you can always contact us directly to discuss your needs further.

You can contact us here.


Please Note: You must confirm you have read the key facts, before downloading this document.

Key Facts about our services and costs

1. The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)

The FCA is the independent watchdog that regulates financial services. This document is designed by the FCA to be given to consumers buying certain financial products. You need to read this important document. It explains the service you are being offered and how you will pay for it.

2. Whose products do we offer?

We offer products from the whole market

We only offer products from a limited number of companies

We only offer our own products

3. Which service will we provide you with?

We will advise and make a recommendation for you after we have assessed your needs.

You will not receive advice or a recommendation from us. We may ask some questions to narrow down the selection of products that we will provide details on. You will then need to make your own choice about how to proceed.

We will provide basic advice on a limited range of stakeholder products and in order to do this we will ask some questions about your income, savings and other circumstances but we will not:

  • conduct a full assessment of your needs;
  • offer advice on whether a non-stakeholder product may be more suitable.

We can only offer products from Kingston Unity Friendly Society. These products will enable you to:

  • protect yourself and your loved ones in the event of death
  • save and invest with the added benefit of protecting yourself and your loved ones in the event of death
  • provide benefit cover in the event of sickness

4. What will you have to pay us for our services?

Normally, if you buy a financial product direct from us, there will be no payments such as commission or fees payable. If there are any commission or fees payable, we will tell you how we get paid and the amount before we carry out any business for you.

5. Who regulates us?

Kingston Unity Friendly Society, 9 Navigation Court, Calder Park, Wakefield, WF2 7BJ is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and .the Prudential Regulation Authority. Kingston Unity Friendly Society’s FCA Registered Number is 110056.

Kingston Unity Friendly Society permitted business is advising and arranging life assurance and pensions business.

You can check this on the FCA’s Register by visiting the FCA’s website www.fsa.gov.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0845 606 1234.

6. What to do if you have a complaint

If you wish to register a complaint, please contact us:
…in writing Write to Kingston Unity Friendly Society, Complaints Department, 9 Navigation Court, Calder Park, Wakefield, WF2 7BJ. …by phoneTelephone (01924) 240164

If you cannot settle your complaint with us, you may be entitled to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

7. Are we covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS)?

We are covered by the FSCS. You may be entitled to compensation from the scheme if we cannot meet our obligations. This depends on the type of business and the circumstances of the claim.

Most types of insurance business are covered for 90% of the claim with no upper limit.