Additional Help

For those CTF account holders who may not have the mental capacity to make financial decisions because of an illness or a disability such as a mental health challenge, dementia or a learning disability, this page contains useful information to help you when it comes to accessing your maturing Child Trust Fund account.

For maturing CTF holders lacking mental capacity

If your child has a CTF that is soon to mature, but they do not have the mental capacity to make an independent financial decision, it can be a challenge when it comes to accessing your child’s account. Somebody lacking mental capacity – because of an illness or disability, such as a mental health problem, dementia, or a learning disability – cannot do one or more of the following four things:

  • Understand information given to them about a particular decision.
  • Retain that information long enough for them to make the decision.
  •  Weigh up the information available to make the decision.
  • Communicate their decision.

Currently, the guidance for parents/carers looking to access their dependent’s Child Trust Fund account is still undergoing review. This includes guidance for CTF providers. As soon as more information is available, we will be adopting the approved guidance and updating this page where appropriate.

We understand that some Members will still need access to their funds before the guidance is released. Therefore, in the meantime, we’ll be treating each request where CTF Members are cited as having additional needs on a case by case basis. You can contact our team here and they will be more than happy to help. 

Please Note: You must confirm you have read the key facts, before downloading this document.

Key Facts about our services and costs

1. The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)

The FCA is the independent watchdog that regulates financial services. This document is designed by the FCA to be given to consumers buying certain financial products. You need to read this important document. It explains the service you are being offered and how you will pay for it.

2. Whose products do we offer?

We offer products from the whole market

We only offer products from a limited number of companies

We only offer our own products

3. Which service will we provide you with?

We will advise and make a recommendation for you after we have assessed your needs.

You will not receive advice or a recommendation from us. We may ask some questions to narrow down the selection of products that we will provide details on. You will then need to make your own choice about how to proceed.

We will provide basic advice on a limited range of stakeholder products and in order to do this we will ask some questions about your income, savings and other circumstances but we will not:

  • conduct a full assessment of your needs;
  • offer advice on whether a non-stakeholder product may be more suitable.

We can only offer products from Kingston Unity Friendly Society. These products will enable you to:

  • protect yourself and your loved ones in the event of death
  • save and invest with the added benefit of protecting yourself and your loved ones in the event of death
  • provide benefit cover in the event of sickness

4. What will you have to pay us for our services?

Normally, if you buy a financial product direct from us, there will be no payments such as commission or fees payable. If there are any commission or fees payable, we will tell you how we get paid and the amount before we carry out any business for you.

5. Who regulates us?

Kingston Unity Friendly Society, 9 Navigation Court, Calder Park, Wakefield, WF2 7BJ is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and .the Prudential Regulation Authority. Kingston Unity Friendly Society’s FCA Registered Number is 110056.

Kingston Unity Friendly Society permitted business is advising and arranging life assurance and pensions business.

You can check this on the FCA’s Register by visiting the FCA’s website or by contacting the FCA on 0845 606 1234.

6. What to do if you have a complaint

If you wish to register a complaint, please contact us:
…in writing Write to Kingston Unity Friendly Society, Complaints Department, 9 Navigation Court, Calder Park, Wakefield, WF2 7BJ. …by phoneTelephone (01924) 240164

If you cannot settle your complaint with us, you may be entitled to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

7. Are we covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS)?

We are covered by the FSCS. You may be entitled to compensation from the scheme if we cannot meet our obligations. This depends on the type of business and the circumstances of the claim.

Most types of insurance business are covered for 90% of the claim with no upper limit.