Ethical Investment Policy
What is our ESG approach?
We will not directly invest into companies whose main business focus includes:
- selling (or servicing) weapons, weapon systems or weapon components to (or for) oppressive regimes;
- manufacturing or distributing nuclear weapons, landmines, cluster bombs/munitions and biological and chemical weapons;
- manufacturing, creating or distributing pornography;
- offering high-interest loans to those in financial difficulties; and
- rearing animals for their fur or testing products on animals for non-medical purposes.
We may also exclude companies on other environmental, social or governance grounds such as excessive and prolonged breaches of Human Rights, promoting alcohol or gambling irresponsibly or where they adopt an irresponsible approach to environmental issues.
It should be noted that where the Society holds externally managed or tracker (which replicate the performance of an index) funds, the Society will be unable to apply its ESG approach.